Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/westendg/public_html/masha/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ANN TamaRadi Blog 2007.03.20~21 by Fukuyama Masaharu - Tokyo Tower Chapter 2
Hello !
..::MashaPlus::..Masaharu Fukuyama International Community
November 20, 2017, 09:37:42 AM

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ANN TamaRadi Blog 2007.03.20~21 by Fukuyama Masaharu - Tokyo Tower Chapter 2  (Read 1060 times)
izumisano
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 2  (Part 1)

1988 Autumn      Amuse 10th Anniversary Movie Auditions

Long after the end of the final auditions, a breathless young man arrives at the hall in his wooden clogs and guitar.
“One more to add, Fukuyama Masaharu, 19 years old.”

And this is the story of the remarkable journey of an 18-year-old who left Nagasaki, to become “Radio’s National Treasure” in Tokyo 20 years later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few hours on the swaying ブルートレイン (Blue Train), I reached Tokyo and made my way to Hajima Station (拝島駅) where my friend lived. We were born on the same day, share the same blood type and were in the same class for 3 years. I heard that he was the manager of an adult joint somewhere in Tokyo. And he had borrowed a few million yen from me before he disappeared....

It was the week before I left that I made the decision to stay at his place. I called him from Nagasaki, “I’m going to Tokyo, hope you can let me stay with you for a while.”  “Oh! My home……there’s a loft, no problem!”

“A loft” gave me the impression of those dream houses you see in the dramas at that time. “Tokyo sure is different!” I thought. When I reached his home and looked through the door…… the “loft” turned out to be a 50cm tall x 70 cm wide x 180cm deep hole in the wall to store blankets.
“This your loft?”
“Yeah!”
“……..seems a bit tight”
“Really? Well this is where you can sleep from now on!”

Following my friend’s generous (?) declaration, I spent the night in my ‘room’.  It was too small to even lie down comfortably. Squeezing myself in, it took me ages to fall asleep. When I woke up the next morning, I instinctively sat up and crashed my head on the roof.
“You have got to be joking! You try sleeping here!”
So with the next day, needless to say, began our long fight for the only bed in the house.

When we finally sat down to talk, I found that he had also recently resigned from his job. Just like me, he wanted to start afresh.  
“To our future, cheers!”  Such silliness at that time, and yet we earnestly did try to consider what lay ahead. What were we going to do from now on? We couldn't forecast anything, other than the fact that we were “in Tokyo”. And that alone was enough to let me see a future glittering with hope.

Having both quit our jobs, we decided to take on temporary work and divide ourselves into day and night shifts, the next day.  I was the day shift.  And I started work as a delivery man in a pizza place.

To be continued.

Translated from Midori's Blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=397)
Original posted in ANN TamaRadi Blog 2007.03.20
(http://www.allnightnippon.com/fukuyama/blog/index.php?YMD=2007-03-20)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:32:08 PM by izumisano » Logged
izumisano
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:49:14 AM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 2  (Part 2)

Once a pizza was ordered, I'd deliver it. Although that was all I had to do, I got to meet lots of different people.  The lady in the low-cut; the small room packed with foreigners, the tattooed ‘life senpai’ who appeared at the door after I kicked it down in disgust, because no-one came no matter how many times I pressed the bell………

There were happy times too. As I was with the pizza place since its first opening, I got to meet Antonio Inoki-san (アントニオ猪木) and Yamamoto Kotetsu-san ( 山本小鉄)* when they came to our shop to celebrate our re-opening after renovation. Upto now, I still treasure the pictures we took together that day. If we hadn’t met then, Inoki-san coming to my concert would probably have been no more than a dream. (*professional wrestlers in Japan)

At times, the headquarters of the company I quit in Nagasaki, would order pizza. It was situated in a tower in the Shinjuku Skyscraper District (新宿副都心).  “Wow, this is Tokyo after all.” I was so touched when I delivered the pizza over, but as I was getting ready to leave………

It was gone.
The motorbike was gone.

I went round the mammoth building once, twice, and still couldn’t find my motorbike.
“Tokyo has motorbike thieves too……”  I was furious and bewildered.  But, hold on!
Collecting myself, I realised it didn't look like the floor I parked the bike on. That was the G/F carpark and I was looking all over 1/F……

“How can such a thing happen, this city is mocking me! Even this city is treating me like a fool…!”
I desperately wanted to take it out on someone, it was harder and harder to suppress my anger.

They had called me “Nagasaki-kun” at my workplace.  Believing in a bright & vivacious work attitude, I would always call out, “Hai! Thank you for your business!” after an order was placed.  When the others praised me “So energetic, how nice!”, I’d happily shout louder the next day. I had no idea that was the Tokyo way of mockery…… ”Country boy....(smirk)”

Then one day, the store manager called me over. Having just been ‘praised’ not so long ago, "perhaps this time I’ll be awarded!" I thought as I excitedly went to see him. The manager simply said, “Can you, not work here anymore?  You don’t really match (up to) our shop’s image!”

“……Are you taking me as a fool? I didn’t come all the way from Nagasaki to deliver pizzas in Tokyo!” I shouted at him. In my head.
“Hai, I understand....”  In reality, there was nothing I could do, but accept the fact that I had just been fired.

And that was how I lost my job after only 3 months. Anyhow, I had to find another job quick. No pizza deliveries this time. Something that required physical labour, I needed to put in all I had!

So, with a lifestyle like that, I slowly lost touch with all the pretty girls and the glamour of Tokyo, and found myself in another world...…… one where I had no idea how to move forward. I could only gaze at the photo with Inoki-san, clench up my fists tightly and think about tomorrow’s meal.

And my music, had yet to begin.

To be continued.            

Translated from Midori's blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=398 and 399)
Original posted on Ann TamaRadi blog 2007.03.20

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:46:08 PM by izumisano » Logged
pillowmasha

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »

*eating popcorn*
ow, It feels like watching his life story, those stories are so easy to be picturized.
Young Masha smiling, running to send some pizza.
Kind of reminds me of homework.

River
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »

LOL! I'm sorry,  I'm so, so sorry. But he was such a country boy! It's understandable, since this was the first time he went out from Nagasaki, my God, he really wants to make it. I feel like telling young Masha, Ganbatte! All the best!.

On the other hand, I do not want to meet Young Masha. He has this rebel attitude that may give me headache. And his anger kinda scared me a little.
AngelReii
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »

The story about the 'stolen bike' is hillarious.  So  Huh?. I am sure we ever experience this incident at least once in our lifetime.   Grin

He was so full of spirit when he got to Tokyo. I had a good laugh at the ealier story where he moved to his friend's place. Talk about tight squeeze....

Sorry to say, he was so 'kampung' (outback/village) then. Poor boy he was even teased & he didn't realise it. His determination was not easily deflated. Thank goodness he had that in him or else he would not have been the man he is now....

He reveals his life stories so easily & keeping it real. I have to admit, not every celebrities would be so daring to open up that way. That's what make him so special. I am loving every minute of it.  Kiss
pillowmasha

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »

Can't hardly wait for the rest of the stories (please don't take this as a demand, izumisano san. We still can't thank you enough for this Grin Grin)
He have been through a harsh life. Reading some simple reviews of him that mentioned that he's a delinquent back then I never could imagine it. But seeing his version of the stories' steadily gaining my already mounting respect of him. Not everyone could survived in the big city, moreover a country bumpkin with no connection like that.
Oh, and I like the way he admit how outback he was.

This is the man that could speak with his head straight and says
"I've fought my way to be here"
izumisano
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »

This is the man that could speak with his head straight and says
"I've fought my way to be here"

Oh, well-said Pillow-san!
The next part is going to take a bit longer as it needs some original translation from Japanese. Sorry, I'll  put it on asap.
izumisano
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 2  (Part 3)

Having gotten myself fired after only 3 months delivering pizzas, I tried some positive thinking  - “This type of work is not suitable for me”.  Focusing on what lay ahead, I moved into physical labour work.  Not once did I consider returning to Nagasaki!

And so, for my next job, I chose a transport company. My task was to move steel piping and assemble the metal scaffolding in construction sites. The foundation of the building in the old J-Wave was put up by me, literally.

The first week went by well. The pay I received each day was good enough for a living. But for some reason, my employer stopped giving out wages in the following week. Something was not right. Thinking I had to check it out, I mustered up my courage and went to the office.  Someone else was already there first.  ……Another body covered up in drawings, another ‘life senpai’.

The ‘life senpai’ yelled, “Don’t give me that …!” as the boss was trying to fob him off, and then proceeded to beat him up. Making use of the situation, I was also able to get all my pay back.

In any case, I had to 'feed myself'. Having very quickly lost my faith in this transport company, I decided to move on to a lumber factory close by.  After some months at the factory, I could finally say that my life had 'settled down’.

During all this time, there was 1 song that kept me going. Sion-san’s  “街は今日も雨さ” (Machi wa kyo mo ame sa).
"From morning to night, my fingerprints have worn off, a measly ¥3,200 from nonstop dishwashing"
Hearing those words always gave this new city-dweller a lot of courage.
“Delivering pizzas gave me ¥4,000, that’s more than Sion-san……”
Even now, when I hear the song again, it brings back memories of those years. My feelings and state of mind at that time, my struggles within, I can still feel my spirit of those days past.

“It was because of this song, that I was able to keep pushing on.” It's not an overstatement to say this.

とりあえずは食うことさ
新聞の広告で仕事を拾った                     
朝から晩まで指紋がすりきれるほど             
皿を洗いつづけてたったの3200円             

つぶれかけたスナックの裏にある               
かび臭い部屋  俺のねぐら                       
なにが都会の気ままな暮らしだ                 
それどこじゃねぇ  まったくそれどこじゃねぇ   

街は今日も雨さ                                     
びしょ濡れの心の向こうに                         
標識がかすんでみえる                             
街は今日も雨さ                                     

今日が昨日のくりかえしでも                       
明日が今日のくりかえしでも                       
今日が昨日のくりかえしでも                       
明日が今日のくりかえしでも                     
First, I have to feed myself,
I found a job from a newspaper ad
From morning to night, my fingerprints have worn off
a measly ¥3,200 from nonstop dishwashing

Beneath all the snacks
is a musty smelly house that’s my home
Is this the (slipshod) life of a city
I’ve gone off-track, I'm totally off

There is rain in the streets today
My heart feels drenched out
My (life) signs are misted up, too blurry to see
There is rain in the streets today

Today repeats yesterday
Tomorrow repeats today
Today repeats yesterday
Tomorrow repeats today

Yes. My music had not even been born.
I did not even have a notebook at that time, all my lyrics were written at the back of pamphlets and advertisements. The words I wrote in those circumstances,  “Into the photochemical smog, we were born"…… were not worth mentioning. But, I was in Tokyo, and I was getting closer to my music with each step I took.

Let's give it a thought. So far having come to Tokyo, before guitars, the things I carried were……pizza, …steel pipes, …wood……See! That's getting closer and closer to a guitar, right?

Will the next thing I finally pick up be the guitar?

~End of Chapter 2~

(Midori's comments)
Masha said in an earlier broadcast that he had gone back to visit the lumber factory some years ago. The owner pointed out a chair and said, "This is where you used to sit. Right there!" He was touched to tears. He never thought the owner would remember even such tiny details.   

Translated from Midori's blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=400)
Original posted on ANN TamaRadi blog 2007.03.21
(http://www.allnightnippon.com/fukuyama/blog/index.php?YMD=2007-03-21)
Lyrics translated from original post.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:08:44 PM by izumisano » Logged
AngelReii
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »

I can't say it enough.... Thank you, izumi-san.

He must have a nice memory & experience at the wood factory for the owner to remember such details. I think he must be physcially strong to be able to do all those labourious work. *Biceps*
 Kiss
River
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:12:15 PM »

Awww.... Young Masha positive thinking! Wood! It definitely closer to guitar than a pizza right? Yes Masha, you're right. And I got to admit, 18-years old Masha is much braver than me, taking advantage of his pay situation after someone got beaten up... he's also quite manipulative.

Thank you izumi-san.
izumisano
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

Part 3 is continued here:
http://westendgarden.com.au/masha/index.php?topic=88.msg1228#msg1228
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: