Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/westendg/public_html/masha/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ANN TamaRadi Blog 2007.03.27~28 by Fukuyama Masaharu - Tokyo Tower Chapter 3
Hello !
..::MashaPlus::..Masaharu Fukuyama International Community
September 23, 2017, 03:55:40 AM

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ANN TamaRadi Blog 2007.03.27~28 by Fukuyama Masaharu - Tokyo Tower Chapter 3  (Read 1419 times)
izumisano
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 3  (Part 1)

1987 Summer      From Nagasaki to Tokyo
A Shinjuku pizza delivery man met Antionio Inoki-san but was fired after 3 months for not fitting in with the "cosmopolitan" feel. Had I started my music?
An unplanned diversion into physical labour work, building the foundation for the old J-wave building, but quit when they held up my pay. Could I start my music now?
An unexpected job at the lumber factory nearby. Still no music.

Then 1988 Autumn      Amuse 10th Anniversary Movie Auditions
“One more to add, Fukuyama Masaharu, 19 years old.”
Is it tonight (in this chapter) that the breathless young man in wooden clogs will appear at the final auditions with his guitar?

This is the remarkable story of the 18-year-old who set out from his hometown Nagasaki and became “Radio’s National Treasure” in Tokyo 20 years later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was very happy at the lumber factory. All I had to do was to fill a 2-tonne truck with wood planks (ひっぱり hippari) for construction and drive it to the site. I could do my job by just following the shapes I see, and soon, the house would be finished. I got paid for the amount of work I put in. It was truly the type of physical work that can be understood at a glance. This straightforward job gave me a sense of fulfillment.

The factory owner had 3 lovely daughters. He once said to me, “You can pick any one you want!” His wife was a typical boss’ wife. “You need to have a good soak once in a while!” She would often say. That high-class cedar bath tub just made me want to cry out “This lumber factory is no joke!” It was one of those grand tubs you don't see anymore nowadays. After my bath, “Now quickly go eat!” The boss’ wife had already prepared my dinner. This was the first time after I came to Tokyo that I could feel a sense of ‘warmth’.

Thinking back to the times after I arrived in Tokyo...  “if I have good exam results, my dad would get me a car,” the pizza place colleague told me;  the scaffolding construction boss tried to swindle my wages off me. Not everything that happened was good. But ever since I had come and had to work for a meal and for my survival, here in Tokyo for the first time I felt happy.

And since the boss had said so, why don’t I just choose one of the three sisters and inherit the lumber factory, that would have been nice. And that was what I thought, until one day....

Dusk, the tune of a western song was flowing from the radio. On the way home together, Nakanishi-san (中西さん) the only good man (優男) in the lumber factory, suddenly said to me,” I heard you want to play music?”  “Y...yes, but having said that…..I’ve been getting used to this place lately. How should I put it…..this kind of life, it doesn’t seem too bad.” Although I had said it very ambiguously, it was truly what I felt in my heart at that time.

But.
“Actually, I had my debut once. As an Enka singer (演歌).”  I couldn’t hide my surprise on hearing Nakanishi-san’s confession. “It was really hard at that time. There were many things I hated. I couldn’t bear with it and so gave up my singing. Now whenever I see my companions from that time, singing on TV, I would think if only I had just stuck it out for a bit more, it would have been so nice if I had continued singing….”

Thinking about it now, Nakanishi-san’s situation was a bit like mine, coming to Tokyo to pursue my music but missing our past life and hometown. To me, Nakanishi-san’s unintentional words helped me see through why I was, “passing everyday happily, but still feeling that something was missing.” It gave me back my spirit. “Before I pass the rest of my life in this lumber factory, I’ve got to give it a try.”

My heart has returned.
Yes, back to “music”, my starting point.

To be continued.

Translated from Midori's blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=405 & 406)
Original posted on ANN TamaRadi blog 2007.03.27
(http://www.allnightnippon.com/fukuyama/blog/index.php?YMD=2007-03-27)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:43:21 PM by izumisano » Logged
River
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »

For once, I was about to have a heart attack, because I cannot access this site, how am I gonna know what happened next in The Secret Diary of Teenage Fukuyama Masaharu? Luckily I can access the site *whew* And thank you izumi-san for the translation.

So he was really thinking of getting married eh? LOL. It's sweet he still remembers his boss from the wood factory. Aww... there are some nice people on Tokyo too.

AngelReii
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »

Luckily he snapped out of the 'warm' feeling at the wood factory.
Thinking of married at that age & inheriting the factory ... tsk, tsk, tsk.... his destiny lies elsewhere.

For once, I was about to have a heart attack, because I cannot access this site, how am I gonna know what happened next in The Secret Diary of Teenage Fukuyama Masaharu? Luckily I can access the site *whew* And thank you izumi-san for the translation.

Good title, River-san. But it sounds more like The not-so-Secret Diary of coming of age Fukuyama Masaharu. LOL!  Grin

I am starting to get really addicted. Eagerly anticipating.. what happens next? Just like a really good drama series that I die-die must watch till the end. I read a lot of books and I think this one would be a bestseller, definitely.

(edit) muwaahh... Thanks izumi-san for your hard work.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:05:40 AM by AngelReii » Logged
River
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:44 AM »

^

Agreed. Hence, my panic tendency when the page shows Timeout Connection. argh!! *pull hair* Kudos have to be given to izumi-san, her translation sounds just like if Masha was to write in English.

Good title, River-san. But it sounds more like The not-so-Secret Diary of coming of age Fukuyama Masaharu. LOL!  Grin

You're right. Since he has not gone through his Coming Of Age Ceremony yet.  And he's thinking of getting marry already? tsk tsk...
izumisano
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »

The Secret Diary of Teenage Fukuyama Masaharu?? The not-so-Secret Diary of coming of age ??
Hahaha~~  Grin Grin
That's why I love you guys !!

Sorry this one's a bit late. I can't listen to anything when I do translations, so after the past few days, I was dying for my fix of Masha singing this morning!
Ended up watching 2002 and 2007 daikanshasai back-to-back. Kiss Kiss
izumisano
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:36:26 PM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 3  (Part 2)

An acquaintance at the lumber factory, once an Enka singer, Nakanishi-san’s words had brought my heart back into “music”, my starting point. Nevertheless, I had no idea how to begin. If I had known of a way to “start my music in Tokyo”, I would have tried it long ago. I was still up against a brick wall.

Then the friend I was living with, got picked up by a scouting agent in Harajuku. In the pamphlet he brought back, I saw the huge pictures of “Yoshinaga Sayuri-san (吉永小百合) shaking hands with the president of the agency”.

“But it’ll cost ¥300,000 to take lessons first….,” he said, “even so, I want to give it a try!”
“Where are you going to find the money?”
"I’ll borrow it from my parents. I need to at least try!”

Because we were in opposite day & night shifts, it was some time before we could see each other again. Apparently, he did foot out those expensive fees and had started to stick it through his lessons. In Tokyo, does it really need to take so much time and money to be an actor?

“So, what are you actually doing now?” I had asked out of curiosity.
“They said, ‘Just go finish your classes first.' So, I’m working as a waiter in the meantime. The girl who was scouted at the same time as me, is working as a hostess.”
“That's……nightclub, you mean?”

If Tokyo is a place full of opportunity, then it is also a place where things rarely go as planned. Anyhow, regardless of whether he was really being conned, the fact that he was “picked out by a scouting agent in Tokyo”, made me really jealous. In Tokyo, his looks were acknowledged. Compared to him, I wouldn’t have been singled out if I was in the street. Besides, I have a body built for hauling wood, I’m comfortable in this lumber factory, I was more or less resigned to spending the rest of my life here.

“I wonder if my looks would be acknowledged in Tokyo? I want to try it out.” I'm not sure when this thought crawled into my head.

But that was on my mind when I first heard of the “Amuse 10 Movie Audition”. I was occasionally, very occasionally, watching the TV idol programme “Bishoujo Gakuen” (美少女学園)* when I saw the news.  “I wonder if my looks would be acknowledged in Tokyo? I want to try it out.”  

So the opportunity that arose for me to decide to join the audition, was bestowed upon me by “Bishoujo Gakuen”.

To be continued.

Translated from Midori's blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=407)
Original posted on ANN TamaRadi blog 2007.03.27

* “Bishoujo Gakuen” was a show by TV Ashahi which ran on Sundays 12pm ~ 12:45pm between 1987.11.01 to 1988.04.03
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:47:57 PM by izumisano » Logged
pillowmasha

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

^

Agreed. Hence, my panic tendency when the page shows Timeout Connection. argh!! *pull hair* Kudos have to be given to izumi-san, her translation sounds just like if Masha was to write in English.

You're right. Since he has not gone through his Coming Of Age Ceremony yet.  And he's thinking of getting marry already? tsk tsk...

Then again, his child could be attending the coming age ceremony by now if he did get married that time back then. XD XD
toey

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »

Thank you izumi-san

Glad to know that he usually practised himself all the time even he didn't have a chance to play guitar like the time when he was in Nagasaki.

What was happened in the audition? It's very interesting Angry

River
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »

^

Then again, his child could be attending the coming age ceremony by now if he did get married that time back then. XD XD

My stupid thought strikes me again, I was thinking his son could be prancing around in an idol group right now *cringe* That's a scary though.

I'm not supposed to feel happy about this. But I'm a bit glad Masha was jealous of his more good-looking friend who got spotted by scout? (or money swindler?). Because that vulnerability and that jealousy made him more human somehow. LOL
izumisano
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 3  (Part 3)

Just when I was resigned to spending the rest of my life at the lumber factory, the factory’s ex-Enka singer Nakanishi-san's words woke me up – “I’ve got to do something!”

Looking at how my friend got scouted in Tokyo “Do you want to be an actor?”, then “I paid ¥300,000 and they want me to be a nightclub host!”....., this belief grew stronger and stronger “I definitely must get something done!”.  In Tokyo, his looks were acknowledged, and I did not get any such recognition. But finally, giving me a good push on the back, was the TV idol show “Bishoujo Gakuen”.

My gullible friend took the audition photograph for me and I was finally able to enter the “Amuse 10 Movie Auditions”. We did not have the money to install a telephone at home, and of course no mobile phones, so Amuse could only contact me by mail c/o my landlord. A few days later, my landlord handed me the ‘acceptance notice’. I could go forth to the auditions.

Feeling a bit nervous, I reached Victor Studios. First, to fill in the forms, there was a section called ‘Talent’. Not knowing any special skills, I put in “Carrying Wood”. I was confident of that. It was the truth.

So, with my specialty “talent: Carrying Wood”, I came before the interviewer. Ichige-san (市毛さん – his first producer, now Amuse corporate director) from Amuse said, “You’re Fukuyama-san, yes? In the ‘Talent’ section, you filled in “Carrying Wood”. Why?” With my hands on my hips, I faced the interviewer as if picking a fight, “That’s it. Carrying wood. That’s what I do now.” And without thinking, I added  “What’s wrong with that?!” This was the attitude I used back at her.

“Amuse 10 Movie Auditions” was Amuse’s 10th anniversary celebration event. To shoot 10 movies, they needed to enlist actors for the auditions. Those who came were mostly kids younger than me. The fact that I was probably the oldest one there, gave me a bit of a blow.  Tonesaku Toshihide (東根作寿英) of “Seibyou Sensei” (性病先生) also took part in these auditions.

Not only were they young, but kawaii too. These young and kawaii boys, seeing some of them practice with their soccer ball, even I couldn’t help saying things like, “This kid is so kawaii~~". They all looked so fresh and lively.

As for me, all I could do was “carry wood”. So I just picked up the guitar that I had bought in Nagasaki from the money I earned washing dishes, and then started to play. But then, among those fresh and lively kids, this guy who sang Shigeru Izumiya-san’s “Haru Natsu Aki Fuyu” * (泉谷しげるさん  “春夏秋冬”), must have stood out as a result.
*  1972 old song.

To be continued.

Translated from Midori's blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=408)
Original posted on ANN TamaRadi blog 2007.03.28
(http://www.allnightnippon.com/fukuyama/blog/index.php?YMD=2007-03-28)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:50:32 PM by izumisano » Logged
pillowmasha

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »

CARRYING WOOD???
LOL
I'd surely would want to see that talent now XD XD (hint: biceps)
River
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »

oh dear, the country boy from Nagasaki sure got an attitude. Though carrying wood? LMAO! Masha!~~ You must impressed them so much with your performance for them to accept you. Or maybe they just remembered you as the boy that carries wood.

Tonesaku Toshihide is younger than Masha. But my goodness, if 19 is the oldest age, then, what's the correct age to debut then? These people start young. In my belief, you also need to try high school before your debut, just because you can create troubles then instead of creating troubles later. Try to be rebellious teenager once.
toey

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »

“Talent: Carrying Wood”,
LOL

Guitar playing isn't talent but carrying wood is !!! OMG XD
Just known that he took guitar to Tokyo because I had wondered at the begining of the story about his guitar cos he has completely fallen in love with it since he was 13 year old.

Some JE boys had debuted at very young age. Maybe the band is Hey! Say! Jump? -_-a

izumisano
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 02:56:07 AM »

Guitar playing isn't talent but carrying wood is !!! OMG XD
Hahahah!  Yes, I wonder what our young Masha was thinking!!  Grin Grin
izumisano
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:38 AM »

Tokyo Tower ~Me & My Radio, & sometimes My Mom~ Chapter 3  (Part 4)

季節のない街に生まれ         
風のない丘に育ち               
夢のない家を出て               
愛のない人にあう               

人のためによかれと思い         
西から東へかけずりまわる      
やっとみつけたやさしさは`      
いともたやすく しなびた         

春をながめる余裕もなく         
夏をのりきる力もなく             
秋の枯葉に身をつつみ         
冬に骨身をさらけ出す           

今日ですべてが終るさ           
今日ですべてが変る           
今日ですべてがむくわれる     
今日ですべてが始まるさ         

(泉谷しげる   “春夏秋冬”)      
Born in a city with no seasons
Brought up in mountains with no wind
Coming from a home with no dreams
Meeting a person with no love

For the good of others
I rush about from west to east
And what kindness I finally see
Too easily withered away

I have no leisure to look at the Spring
I have no energy to get through the Summer
My body is covered by the dried leaves of Autumn
My bones and flesh are exposed in the Winter

Everything ends today
Everything changes today
Everything is destroyed today
Everything starts today

(Shigeru Izumiya   “Haru Natsu Aki Fuyu)

My gloomy rendition on the guitar seemed to have left a different impression on the interviewer. Of the people who came for the audition, some worked in theatrical groups; some were going to acting class. Among these young people, I was an outsider who had never acted before. I looked at their performances from the side and thought, “There is no way I can do better than them…”

I had only played in a cover band and all I felt was, “Oh no, that's it.” Although I had had some experience saying lines, what was sure in the audition was that I could not have said them well.

After that day, I was called in for a few more rounds of audition. Wood; guitar….I repeatedly performed, gradually I started feeling there was no end to it all. “How long is this going to go on for?” I started feel doubts. Finally, we received notice that “the next round will be the final selection.”

The final round should be held on a Sunday. I waited and waited, but didn’t get the notification letter. Usually, they would contact me by Wednesday.
Thursday, no news.
Friday, no news.
Saturday, no news.

I thought, “So I didn’t make it,” but still I called the office to confirm. “Oh, we wouldn’t know if you had passed the audition or not, from our side,” came the offhand answer. As expected, I didn’t make it after all. Full of disappointment, chagrin and fury, with no outlet, I was dismayed and ready to give up.

So, on the Sunday of the final round, to stop myself from feeling too depressed, I took a ride in my car which I had bought for ¥90,000 some time before. I was on Highway 16, going in the direction of Ome (青梅), when .....  “BUOooooong”, with a boom, my exhaust muffler fell off. Leaving me and my bike right in the middle of Highway 16.
“Oh no!” I dumped the muffler in the back of the car, in any case, I had to turn back home now.

So with this and that, I was in the carpark in front of home, fixing my exhaust when, right at that time…

“Excuse me! Telegram!”

To be continued.

Translated from Midori's blog (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fukuyama-masaharu/article?mid=409 & 410)
Original posted on ANN TamaRadi blog 2007.03.28   (Lyrics translated from original post)   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:54:39 PM by izumisano » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: